"Granbury Texas, History on the Lake"
Historic Landmark #3
James H. Doyle House
Built in 1875 for James Doyle, this High Style House with Queen Ann stylistic influence now serves as Captain’s House On Lake Granbury...Guest Suites for visitors and tourists to Granbury.
The home is one of the few remaining large homes built in Granbury before 1900 that has not burned and then been rebuilt, had the front façade totally restyled or been moved from its original site. Eighty percent of the windows as well as the diamond shaped stained glass window are original to the home. The only structural changes made to the house have been the addition of a workshop, office, and parking areas. A few porches and balconies have been enclosed to allow for the addition of bathrooms, but the overall outline of the home remains the same. All the materials used in the additions have been complimentary to the era of the structure, some of them even being recycled off the home.
James Hogan Doyle was a decorated hero in the Civil War and moved to Granbury in 1870. James H. Doyle was Hood County’s fourth treasurer and served as chairman on the Granbury School Board. He was also the original director of the First National Bank of Granbury. He co-owned the Baker-Doyle Building which is one of the oldest buildings on the Square. James Doyle was a charter member of the Granbury Masonic Lodge, founded in 1875, and was instrumental in getting the first bridge built across the Brazos River.
The James H. Doyle House was designated a Granbury Historical Landmark by the City of Granbury